Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Backyard BBQ

I love this time of year. It is so nice to take out the BBQ and cook up some hotdogs and have a yummy simple dinner. WELLLL as of last night we will NOT be doing that again for a really long time.

What is a foreign body of the throat?
Foreign objects can become stuck in either the trachea (wind pipe) or the esophagus ( tunnel in which food passes into the stomach). In either case, the person's ability to breathe properly can be seriously impaired. Insufficient chewing, and drinking excessive amounts of alcohol with eating can lead to a blocked esophagus. In children, objects such as peanuts, beans or seeds can block either of these important tubes.

So this is the paper that they gave ME at the ER last night after I checked myself in. Yes I had a stupid hot dog stuck in my throat. Now we had just sat down to eat dinner and I took one bite!!! yes just one bite and started to choke!!! Rick helped by hitting me on the back and it all came back, so we thought. I could talk and breath but I could not swallow anything!! Including my own saliva. We called over to the doctors office and they said you need to go to the ER because you might exasperate. I was NOT going to go. But the more I tried to make it go down, the worse it got. So we went over and they gave me an IV with some meds to relaxe my muscles and hopefully that would help it go down. That was not working so they told me that they were going to need put me out and take me to the OR and be scoped!!!! HOLY COW all because of a stupid hot dog!!! The nurse came in to check my vital signs and it all of sudden felt different. I said " I think that it passed" so the doctor had me try to drink some soda and it went down. Then they had me eat a soda cracker and drink more soda and if it went down ok they would release me. YEAH I didnt have to go to the OR.

On a better note Matt had his "Dance Festival" today and it was so much fun. His grade danced the Virgina Reel. Every one had a really good time.

4 comments:

Tooele Brezoff said...

Oh my goodness did that happen last night? Darn freaking hot dog! I am glad everything is good now!

The dance thing was fun!

S and M said...

I'm glad everything is alright! It's no fun when you have to go to the ER.

Brandi said...

Stupid hot dog! Glad to hear that you are doing OK!

happy mom said...

I am so glad that I kept reading because I read the post above and I was about to ask what was up with the hot dogs. I am so sorry that happened, scary! and yeah I would stay away from them for awhile, potatoes go really well with chili too.